Pages

Friday, May 4, 2018

Distress Oxide Glaze Technique: More Things to do With Your Backgrounds

I have a few more posts for you using the Distress Oxide glaze technique before I move on to other things. To see my post on how to do the Distress Oxide glaze technique, click here.


When I was making this card, I put several colors of Distress Oxide ink onto my mat and spritzed with water so that I could flick spots all over the front of the card. Since I didn't want to waste the leftover ink, (why are we like this, it's not like it's so valuable, but I can't help myself) I took glossy cardstock and swiped it through the ink to create additional backgrounds. I ended up putting more color down and created 3 more backgrounds (it's hard to stop).


I used one of these for my card; the colors of Distress Oxide on this piece are Salty Ocean, Wild Honey, Squeezed Lemonade. The colors of speckles on the front of the card also include Wilted Violet & Picked Raspberry Oxide inks.

To make this card, I cut a piece of Paper Accents Natural Kraft cardstock using the Lawn Fawn LF768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables. The largest die in this set cuts a piece that is 5" x 3.75" with a nice stitched finished edge.

I used the Memory Box 99946 Cheery Flower Collage die in the upper center of my panel. The flowers and leaves were colored with Prismacolor pencils, and I cut a piece of the Distress Oxide glazed panel and adhered it behind the flower collage.

I stamped the Magenta 07.837.H Thanks for Everything stamp below the flower collage using Versafine Clair Warm Breeze ink. On white paper, this ink would perfectly match the color of the flowers, but on Kraft it didn't. In retrospect, I wish I had used the Salty Ocean Distress Oxide ink to stamp the sentiment. The special properties of this ink (hybrid of dye and pigment) allow it to show up well on dark cardstock, and it can be embossed as well.

I embossed the sentiment using JudiKins Clear Detail embossing powder.  Something I didn't expect is that the flecks of Oxide ink show through my stamping. I like that part.

I mounted the panel onto a mat of blue cardstock (sorry, I don't know where it came from) that I chose to match the flowers, and then onto a base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock. If I had it to do over, I would have used a cream colored base card, which would contrast less with the kraft.

Products used:

Magenta 07.837.H Thanks for Everything
Lawn Fawn LF768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables
Memory Box 99946 Cheery Flower Collage
Distress Oxide inks: Salty Ocean, Wild Honey,
Squeezed Lemonade, Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry
Versafine Clair Warm Breeze ink
JudiKins Detail Clear embossing powder
Ranger Distress Glaze medium
Prismacolor pencils: PC905 Aquamarine, PC105 Cobalt Turquoise
PC992 Light Aqua, PC1005 Limepeel, PC909 Grass Green
Paper Accents Natural Kraft cardstock
Ranger Alcohol Ink cardstock
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne