Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

Distress Oxide Glaze Technique: Beautiful Day

I recently had fun playing with the Distress Oxide Glaze technique and made a big pile of backgrounds. To look at my how-to post on the Distress Oxide Glaze technique, click here.


Here are some closeups and Before/After glaze application


Before Glaze


After Glaze


Side by side comparison.


These are SO much fun to make!


There are so many different color combinations. I try to choose colors that will work well together and not make mud.


Over the next few days I will post a few cards that I have made using these backgrounds. Be sure to look at the Christmas ones I made too, by clicking on the link to the how/to post  at the top of this page.

Here's the first card I made, and I love it!


This card was made by taking one of the Distress Oxide Glazed panels and simply stamping with two beautiful Magenta stamps. The stamp with the bird is called Branch Overlook and is from the newest Magenta Spring 2018 release. I absolutely love it. I think you could use this stamp for lots of occasions, including Thinking of You or Sympathy. I sent this card to a friend whose husband is an ornithologist. Doesn't the background really make it pop?

I have to tell you that after experimenting with a couple of different inks (Versafine Onyx Black; Ranger Archival) I came to the conclusion that the best ink to use to stamp onto these glazed backgrounds is StazOn. Even the Archival took forever to dry; the Versafine didn't dry at all, and I had to clear emboss it. Perhaps I was just being impatient!

After stamping, I cut the panel with the largest of the Lawn Fawn LF768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables. This die cuts a panel to 3.75" x 5", and I use it quite a bit.

I adhered the stamped panel onto a mat of dark purple cardstock. In real life it picks up some slight purple tones in the panel. For matting, just search your stash for something that picks up a color in your piece. It should not be the predominant colors though, because it should have some contrast.

These pieces were adhered to a base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock and a few iridescent clear sequins were added.

If you're interested in these Magenta stamps, or any of their beautiful stamps including their new Spring collection, you can click on the links below, or go directly to their online store here.


Products Used:

Magenta Branch Overlook 0748.O
Magenta have a Beautiful day! 07.969.F
Distress Oxides inks: Peeled Paint, Twisted Citron, 
Mermaid Lagoon, Evergreen Bough, Salty Ocean, Wilted Violet
StazOn Jet Black ink
Lawn Fawn LF768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables
Ranger Alcohol Ink Cardstock
Distress Glaze
Purple cardstock of unknown provenance for mat
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock



4 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne, gorgeous card and love the glaze technique! Sure will give it a try, it's a pity you aren't here with the Art Specially event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Miranda! I know, I will miss seeing you all. I have such fond memories of Holland, and your workshop was such a highlight!

      Delete
  2. Awesome technique. I can see why you like it. So vibrant. Where do you buy Magenta stamps in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Since Art 'n Soul closed, I don't know of a good place to buy Magenta stamps in the US; but you can buy them on the Magenta online store, and they don't charge extra for shipping to the US.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne