Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

Technique of the Week: Color Your Die-Cuts

In the past, for die-cutting I have often used paper that I have already colored, or patterned paper, or shiny paper - anything interesting. This is a technique to color a die-cut after cutting it out of white paper, or watercolor paper, that I got from Laura Bassen, and I really like it, so I wanted to share it with you.


For this technique, I cut my die out of watercolor paper (I used Ranger watercolor paper because it's white, and I wanted the frame on this die cut to be white). Since this die-cut had a frame around it, and I wanted that to stay white, I taped the piece down with painter's tape, being careful to cover the frame on all 4 sides.

Choose some colors of dye-based markers to color with. I used Tombow 606, 636, and 676. You could also use Distress markers or any water-based markers. I really like how the ink in Tombow markers moves on the page when you apply water.

Die-cut from Memory Box die Floating Butterfly Frame 99138
 placed over a second piece of water color paper

I colored the centers of the butterflies with the Tombow markers, and used a water brush to pull the color to the wings. I also scribbled on my craft mat with the markers when I wanted to add additional color. Just pick it up with the water brush and add it where you want it. When I started, I placed another piece of watercolor paper behind my die-cut to capture the extra ink. I really like the effect, and will use that second piece in another card. 

I then prepared my base card by blending some Picked Raspberry Distress ink at the top and bottom for some shading, using a round mini blending tool.


The middle picture is the die-cut after coloring. The picture on the left is the second piece of watercolor paper that I placed behind the die-cut while coloring, and the piece of the right is my shaded base card.

I went over the center of each butterfly with clear Wink of Stella, and stamped a Magenta sentiment (Beauty is Everywhere 07.614.D) using Versafine Onyx Black ink. I then mounted the die-cut to the base card.

This was a fun, quick and easy technique. I hope you'll try it!

Beauty is everywhere 07.614.D

 Other Materials Used:
Memory Box die Floating Butterfly Frame 99138
Ranger Watercolor paper
Picked Raspberry Distress ink
Tombow markers: 606, 636, 676
Niji Medium water brush
Clear Wink of Stella
Onyx Black Versafine ink
painter's tape



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne